|American Legion Auxiliary History|
|1919 - The American Legion Auxiliary is established to support The American Legion.
1921 - First National Convention convenes in Kansas City, MO. The Poppy of Flanders Field becomes the memorial flower of the Auxiliary.
1925 - Auxiliary moves its National Headquarters to War Memorial Plaza in Indianapolis, IN.
1927 - It is decided that only veteran-made poppies will be distributed by the Auxiliary.
1934 - Auxiliary establishes Junior membership
1936 - Auxiliary's Bulletin becomes the National News.
1937 - Girls State program is created.
1944 - Auxiliary's program for the rehabilitation of disabled veterans is created.
1947 - First Girls Nation held in Washington, DC.
1950 - Prsentation of the first Golden Press/Golden Mike media awards.
1953 - First Women's Forum on National Security convenes in Washington.
1970 - Auxiliary Emergency Fund is established.
1972 - Cavalcade of Memories established at National Headquarters.
1979 - President Carter signs bill extending Legion eligibility to Vietnam-era veterans.
1980 - First Awareness Assembly is held in Washington, DC, replacing The Women's Forum.
1988 - Heart of America Awards are initiated, replacing the Golden Press/Golden Mike Awards.
1990 - Eligibility is extended to veterans of Grenada, Lebanon, and Panama.
1992 - Eligibility is extended to veterans of the Persian Gulf hostilities.
1995 - 50th session of Girls Nation is celebrated.
2000 - Auxiliary celebrates it 80th year.
2001 - Auxiliary becomes a host sponsor of the Department of National Veterans Creative Arts Festival.
2002 - In response to the terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001, Auxiliary members donated nearly $100,000 to various relief efforts.
2003 - Auxiliary members respond to the wartime deployment of U.S. Troops overseas in "Operation Iraqi Freedom".
2006 - Auxiliary National President JoAnn Cronin raises over $100,000 for Auxiliary's co-hosted event: the National Veterans Creative Arts Festival.
2007 - Auxiliary National President Jan Pulvermacher-Ryan begins an endowment fund for the National President's Scholarship entitled "Educating Children of Warriors." The goal is $1.2 million.
2008 - The Auxiliary moves National Headquarters to 8945 N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis.